If you’ve ever had to open your Task Manager to close a program, you’ll notice that there a lot more programs & processes running than the ones you may be using on the screen. There is nothing unusual or bad about background apps running in Windows 10. After all, many of them are making Windows work for you the way it does. However, to get the best performance out of your machine, there may be a few that you can actually turn off. (Please note… be very carefully when picking which to close!)
Here is how you do it…
1. Click on the Start button (Windows icon in bottom left-hand corner)
2. Click the Settings icon (the cog)
3. Click Privacy to open up the settings window
4. In left-hand list, find and click the Background apps option.
5. Now you should see a list of applications running in the background of Windows 10!
Now, many of these you will want to keep on, depending on how you use your computer. E.G. If you use Skype, leave that on so people can call you! If not, turn it off.
On my PC, I was surprised to see some games running that I had no idea I even had on my computer – they had just been installed at the factory level and left there, or came as part of an update.
When you are done, you can just close the window. You may want to re-check it though, after any updates… just in case!